Bilirakis Takes a Strong Stance Against Socialism - Votes Against Leftist Tax and Spending Spree
Washington, DC: Earlier today, Speaker Pelosi pushed through a more than 2,100-page tax and spending bill that contains wasteful spending that will fuel already record-high inflation. The bill also contains many far-left socialist policies that Americans have already rejected. Contrary to claims made by President Biden about this bill costing the American tax payers nothing, the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office indicates that this bill will add at least $367 billion to the deficit over the next ten years.
“My constituents and countless small businesses in my district are already suffering due to the reckless behavior of this Administration and Congressional Democrats. They are grappling with government intrusion into all aspects of their lives, spending more on everything due to skyrocketing inflation, and seeing unnecessary delays due to the national supply chain shortage,” said Congressman Gus Bilirakis. “The items funded in this bill do not reflect the priorities and values of my constituents. This package also does not offer the solutions American families need to the real challenges they are facing. In fact, many of its provisions will only make their situations worse, which is why I voted no!”
In a bill plagued with irresponsible spending and radical policies, Congressman Bilirakis has identified the Top 16 most objectionable portions of the spending bill below.
- Includes new incentives for illegal immigration: Illegal immigrants would be eligible for federal student aid (page 78) and the enhanced child tax credit (page 1647)
- Drives up costs on Americans’ utility bills: Includes a tax on natural gas, up to $1,500 per ton, that could cost the American economy an estimated $9.1 billion and eliminate 90,000 American jobs (page 361). This will have a negative impact on all Americans who consume electricity, not just those making over $400,000 annually as the White House claims. Additionally, 9% of people making between $0 and $50,000 will see a tax increase under this bill, while 22% of those who make between $50,000-$100,000 will see their taxes increase.
- Tax benefits for the top 1%: Increases the cap on state and local tax deductibility, meaning many of the wealthiest Americans would pay less in taxes. (page 1729) Since 90% of Americans don’t itemize their taxes, the increased SALT deductions won’t benefit them. It is estimated however, that 2/3 millionaires in the U.S. will see a significant tax reduction due to this provision.
- Makes it easier for the IRS to target taxpayers: Creates an $80 billion slush fund to hire an 87,000-IRS-agent army that would be used to carry out the Biden administration’s plan to review every account with more than $10,000 worth of transactions in a year (This applies to all Americans who spend at least $30 per day on average). The plan includes hiring 5,000 new armed criminal agents (page 1923). Also makes it easier for the IRS to issue penalties against taxpayers by removing the IRS supervisor approval requirement for each audit (page 1934).
- Increases out of pocket costs for those who rely on prescription drugs: The bill will repeal the Trump-era Rebate Rule which passes through drug rebates directly to consumers at the point of sale (page 2114).
- Pushes Green New Deal in our universities: Democrats include a $10 billion “environmental justice” higher education credit program to indoctrinate college students and advance Green New Deal policies (page 1571). It also includes kickbacks for the Left’s green energy special interest network with $3 billion for “environmental and climate justice block grants” (page 373) and tens of billions more for green energy special interest subsidies, loans and other carve outs.
- Perpetuates labor shortage: Continues welfare benefits without work requirements for able-bodied adults without dependents at a time where there are 10.4 million job openings—more openings than there are people looking for work.
- Billions for “Tree Equity”: Includes a $2.5 billion slush fund, sending tax dollars to radical environmental groups to plant trees and advance “tree equity.” (page 18)
- Gives wealthy Americans tax credits: Includes hundreds of billions of dollars in “green energy” tax credits for those who can afford expensive electric vehicles and other “green” innovative products (page 1434). For example, a tax credit worth up to $900 will be offered when someone purchases an electric bicycle. The credit wouldn’t start to phase out until a family makes at least $150,000 a year. (page 1527)
- Pushes Democrats’ wasteful and confusing school lunch agenda: Allocates $250 million for, among other things, “procuring…culturally appropriate foods” (page 275)
- Innovation-killing Socialist Price Controls: Institutes a government price-setting of prescription drugs which has shown to be likely to lead to significantly decreased private investment in new cures. (page 1977)
- Subjects small business to reckless tax penalties: Subjects small businesses with over $600 in transactions to backup tax withholding requirements if they fail to comply with IRS regulations (page 1932). Hammers small businesses that file as individual tax earners with Obamacare’s 3.8% tax on net investment income(page 1883).
- Money for Gun Control: Spends $2.5 billion for “Community-based Violence Intervention initiatives” which could be used to deny the individual exercise of the 2nd Amendment without due process. (page 876).
- Includes legislative hull for Biden’s vaccine mandate: Increases OSHA penalties on businesses that fail to implement the vaccine mandate up to $700,000 per violation (page 105) and includes nearly a billion dollars in funding for the Department of Labor to increase enforcement of these penalties (page 103).
- Increases energy dependence on OPEC, Russia and China: The bill includes mineral and energy withdrawals on federal lands (page 912) and overturns provisions included in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that authorized energy production in the Arctic.
- Allows taxpayer money to fund elective abortions and subsidizes healthcare plans that cover them by removing the Hyde Amendment.
This bill is so toxic for the American people that Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy spent over 8 hours slamming how this 2,000+ page monstrosity is bad for our nation, bad for American families, and bad for our future. Congressman Bilirakis will keep fighting against enactment of this harmful legislation by working with his Senate colleagues.